Friday 6 July 2012

Business Networking with the PMClub Derby

from the Desk of the Bookkeeper in Derby

I guess there will always be a little frisson of nerves on my part when going to new places or meeting new people.  I don't know why - but there it is. 

Networking, for those of us who work for ourselves, is a two edged sword.  Not only is it a way of connecting with like minded enterprising individuals to learn about their businesses for mutual benefit.  But, for me, networking should also be more, much more.  Individuals should be able to relax and enjoy each others company in a social environment.  So far my networking experiences have left me a little dissatisfied.  I guess different group objectives will have a direct and not always positive effect on group dynamics.  Plus the fact that the others I have so far come across want three figure fees to join their group and you have a whole bunch of stuff to do besides.  For some - it is the perfect vehicle.  For others who are short of time and capital it is not so good.

Last night though was completely different from my other networking experiences.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed myself. 

The PMClub meets on the 1st Thursday of the month regularly at the Vie Lounge (Piano Bar and Restaurant) Derby.  The cost was only £10 with a £2 of that going to me&dee.  Now that got my interest going - a group of business actually supporting a local Derby charity.  The vibes were starting to humm nicely.

The dinner was amazing, the dessert divine, the music smooth on the ear and although our group was small our discussions were wide ranging and lively covering not only all manner of business topics and ventures but also more personal interests including camping (my favourite hobby).  Although I didn't actually own up to my other passion - the forthcoming Trekki conference in London during October.

Have I peeked your interest?  Well if I have and you would like to join us at the Vie Lounge the next meeting is schedule for the first Thursday in September.   Keep an eye out for the meeting details being posted on their website: PMClub 


BKD


"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward."
-- Amelia Earhart







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.