Sunday 24 June 2012

PHISHING / SPAM ALERT!

From the Desk of the Bookkeeper Derby

The thing I have noticed  about my clients is that any communique they receive from HMRC is taken very seriously.  They sort of go into hot flush / absolute panic mode.  They find themselves sitting up  sit up straighter and hold the letter with the reverence/fear that any believer might give to their sacred scriptures.

Until the other day, I would not have attributed the word 'excited' to a client receiving a HMRC email.  But there it was - my client was positively humming with joy at an email he'd received from HMRC telling him that he'd was due a sizable rebate and could he kindly click on the link provided to confirm his details. 

As happenstance would have it one of the things that I am DEAD keen on is NOT CLICKING on any links provided by helpful looking emails.  For my clients I must seem like a record that has got stuck...

The lesson worked though - client duly forwarded me the email and with a bit of due diligence on my part quickly confirmed that it was a phishing email and I dispatched it over to the HMRC Spam Alerts asap.

Also very happily - client had not opened the link.  Whew! 

Just so we are very clear on this subject:


HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) will NEVER send notifications of a tax rebate by email, or ask you to disclose personal or payment information by email.  Do not visit the website contained within the email or disclose any personal or payment information.




For more information on Phishing and other Bogus efforts visit  HMRC Security

BKD

Thought for today: 


"Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."
Princess Diana






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.